About Me

My photo
Mom of five lovely daughters, wife of one dashing man. Born in Utah, grew up in Oregon, live in Georgia.

Friday, September 28, 2007

The devil?

David thinks Oprah is the devil. I happen to like her, but I can appreciate his train-of-thought. David's logic is that the devil will tell you a hundred truths to get you to believe one lie, and for those who watch Oprah you have to agree that while many of her topics are noble and good, there are some that are apalling. For example, she recently did a show talking about sex in America. She seemed to celebrate "open" marriages, sex out of marriage, and casual sex in general. Her main point was that attitudes about sex are changing and that we should change with the times. Her views on marriage are also pretty far removed from what I believe to be right and I have to wonder whether the sum of her influence is positive or negative. I tend to base my judgments on the 13th Article of Faith where it says "...if there is anything virtuous, lovely, of good report or praiseworthy, we seek after these things," and I'm beginning to wonder how Oprah measures up. Do you think her messages are "flaxen cords" that ultimately "lead us carefully down to hell", or are they good and just occasionally misguided?

9 comments:

Kami Hall said...

Personally, I think Oprah's talk show is not what it used to be. She's getting further and further from her once virtuous values. She's really good at doing charity work, which I admire. But I don't watch her show anymore.

Emma said...

It's toss up. I think she does some great things. And some of her shows are fun. But if I can't watch it with my kids in the room, then I don't think I should be watching it either. I don't even turn it on anymore. I used to love her "favorite things" and wow at how expensive everything was. I realized how far from reality she is when she said that a $16 bottle of lotion would be a great stocking stuffer. Maybe I'm just poor.

tara said...

I have to agree with all that has been said. I used to watch her show more than I do now, in fact, I don't even turn it on unless I see a preview that I think might be interesting, then I try and watch it, but it doesn't always happen. I think that she has changed from her once virtuous ways and become too "hollywood". Like everything else, we have to keep in check and not "take her for doctrine" b/c while she does have a lot of good ideas, she is very en vogue with the ways of the world. I too die when she says that a 250 outfit is a 'steal'. ON my budget, I need about 5 outfits for that price, with accessories, ha!

Unknown said...

I agree that some of her topics are left of center and I don't watch those but, I have seen a lot of very good informative shows. I think she really wants to help people and has influenced lives for the better in many of ways. otherwise, she would take her money and run. I think that the intentions of her heart and example to serve others is far better than her few misguided beliefs. If Oprah had the gospel in her life just think of what great thing that would be! Wouldn't you love to be a fly on the wall for a conversation between Oprah and Glady's Night?~Stacey

Elaine said...

I happen to be watching the show you are referring to. I was somewhat amused at first but turned it off when they started talking open-marriage etc. I have also been disillusioned with Dr. Phil lately... Wow!! Talk about some sick people. Seems like I'm always turning him off too. I once wrote a letter to Oprah about how she could have some great insight by looking into the church. THis was many years ago when I really admired what she was doing and feeling if only she had the full truth. Can that count as Missionary work for the rich and famous?

Shana said...

I agree with all of the above. I too love that Oprah gives a lot to Charity!! I think she does a lot of good, but this world is turning evil in a lot of ways and so... I think it is just this time of world. It is not getting any better. :(

Michelle Pyne said...

Oprah may not be the devil, but I do think he uses her to achieve his purposes. While she does do many worthwhile things, her values and beliefs do not exactly line up with President Hinckley's. He's the one we should be listening to every day!

Audra said...

Oprah is right about things and wrong about things. Just like the rest of us!

stephanie said...

her views on marriage infuriate me. i can't watch her show anymore. (unless nate is on and re-doing people's houses. that is good tv.)