About Me

My photo
Mom of five lovely daughters, wife of one dashing man. Born in Utah, grew up in Oregon, live in Georgia.

Sunday, September 23, 2007

Motivations

A couple years ago I attended a Time Out for Women where I learned something that has helped me so much and I thought I should pass it along.

In life there are basically two motivations: LOVE or PRIDE. No matter what other intentions we have, they basically boil down to either of these two things. For me it's a good litmus test to see whether or not I'm on track, and I have to check myself all the time.

For example, I like to try and look nice. When I am motivated by love I understand that my body is a gift from our Heavenly Father and that I should take care of it. When I am motivated by pride I compare the way I look to others around me and worry about what others may think about me.

The difference in motivation is also very apparent in disciplining my children. When I am motivated by love my intent is to teach them and to help them learn to choose the right. I want to build them up and instil in them confidence. When I am motivated by pride I react with anger. I try to show them that they are wrong and I am right. I make them feel small and incapable.

In every situation in life we act either with love or pride. I think that is why charity is so important. I believe that Jesus governed His life with love, and that if we can learn to do the same we will grow to become like Him. One of my favorite quotes teaches that "Love is the divinest attribute of the human soul" (David O. McKay). The more we can learn to love the closer we become to the divine.

I am curious what you think on the subject. Do you struggle with your motivations, too? What helps you be motivated by love?

8 comments:

Elaine said...

There are 3 Questions we can ask ourselves regarding almost everything we do:
#1 HOW ARE WE DOING IT?
#2 WHAT IS THE TRUE PURPOSE?
#3 FOR WHO'S GLORY?

If we can answer these three questions and feel good about the answers, IT is most likely done with LOVE. Good thoughts.. I have never looked at it so simply as LOVE OR PRIDE.

Kimberlie said...

Great Post Jessi! It is so important that we constantly do a personal check on our progress! This is such a great way to simplify it! Thanks for the reminder. I too recognize my actions are very different when my act with love! Also Those are great Questions Elaine! They are going on my fridge right now!

Emma said...

That is fabulous. I really need to do that. I struggle with motivations too. I tend to blame it on selfishness. But that is a form of pride. When I hurt others because I am selfish (ie not listening to my kids because I want to read, blog etc.) I am saying that my wants are more important than the Lord's commandments.

Kami Hall said...

I struggle with my motivations for sure. That is a great thing to remember though, always try with love.

Michelle said...

This is a great post, Jessi! I think this is what the world is struggling with. The world is motivated by pride. Like the quote, "be in the world, not of the world" or something like that. I agree, that we need to stop and evaluate ourselves and what is motivating us. I struggle with this. And I often just stop and think if Christ were here in the room with me right now, would I be ashamed of my action? It really helps me keep in perspective.

Abbi said...

Thanks for this post, Jess. It's really good to stop and think, "Why AM I doing the things I'm doing?"

Abbi said...

P.S. I like your new background color!

Michelle Pyne said...

I think that is right on. I have come to the conclusion that it is a very 'natural' thing to be selfish (see Mos 3:19), to seek our own comfort, satisfaction and status in society. All that is a form of pride. I catch myself acting out of pride all the time. I have noticed that the Spirit prompts me all the time when I'm acting out of pride. It takes constant awareness to eliminate pride in our lives! Thanks for this very insightful post!