About Me

My photo
Mom of five lovely daughters, wife of one dashing man. Born in Utah, grew up in Oregon, live in Georgia.

Sunday, April 13, 2008

Spring Break Report

This past week was our spring break, and I had every intention of keeping a photo-log of all of the fun things we did. But, I was too busy having fun to take many pictures. So, you'll have to endure the photo-sparse report. (Or, you can just look at the pictures I do have, and skip the rest).

We didn't travel anywhere, but we treated the week off as an at-home vacation. Every day we planned a little outing and/or "party".

Friday I took the girls to a candy store that happens to sell Webkins. McKenna and Lydia got to pick out new Webkins and Summer & Emily got some candy. Then we went to the library. In the evening we watched The Empire Strikes Back and ate popcorn and pizza.

Saturday and Sunday we watched General Conference. Sunday we also had one of my nephews and his wife over for dinner. I made homemade rolls (my first attempt ever!) and thanks to a stupid recipe (please don't tell my kids I used the word "stupid") they got burnt!!! (The recipe said to bake them at 400 degrees for 20 minutes. I checked them at 15 minutes and they were already inedible.) Thankfully the recipe makes about a hundred-trillion rolls, so they didn't ALL get burnt, just the pretty clover-leaf ones.


Monday we met Audra & Mike and some friends from their neighborhood at a park where there were some natural waterslides. It was a pretty chilly, but that didn't stop our kids from playing in the water!!! We're definitely going to have to go back there when the weather warms up!!




Tuesday we took the girls shopping for new bathing suits and then went to Burger King for lunch. It was by far the most expensive and least fun day. (Once again proving that you don't have to spend a lot of money to have a lot of fun.)

Wednesday we went to another park. We had a picnic and then went on a little hike. My older girls LOVED the hike. They had their walking sticks and seemed to really soak up the whole experience. The younger girls tripped and scraped their knees a couple of times, but they were tough. They got back up and kept on going. And in the end, (once we got them some band-aids), they talked highly of the experience as well. In the evening we watched the movie Enchanted.


Thursday we met my friend Chaunette and her kids at yet another park. It was the most beautiful day of the week and the kids had so much fun PLAYING. Then in the afternoon we went ice-skating. Actually, David and my big girls and their two friends ice skated while Summer & Emily and I cheered them on. I was so impressed with the improvement my girls made. At first they didn't look like they were going to make it off the wall, but by the end of the session they were zooming around the rink.(Sorry about the poor picture quality. The lighting in the rink wasn't great and I was really far away.)

Friday we had another picnic lunch and then went to the movie "Nim's Island." We all enjoyed it, although if it hadn't been spring break it is one I would have gladly waited to see on DVD.

Saturday we went bowling to celebrate Emily's birthday. She brought one of her little friends with her and we all had a super time. (Although I think the girls enjoyed dancing in their slippery bowling shoes as much as they enjoyed the actual bowling). That evening David and I went on a date.(!!!!) We went to dinner and then went and got me some new maternity clothes. It was awesome.

So, there you have it. Our recipe for an at-home vacation. We discovered some new and exciting parks in our area and totally enjoyed our time off. Returning to business as usual tomorrow will be not nearly as much fun.

8 comments:

Topsy said...

Sounds absolutely wonderful.

MiandMiksmom said...

I loved our "at home vacation" too! We had a blast at the park on a beautiful day! I got your message about bowling after the fact...that would have been fun!!!

Michelle Pyne said...

That sounds like a great week! It is so nice just to be able to relax and play, even when you are at home! I want to see those natural water slides when we visit. They look like fun!

Elaine said...

That's nice you had a whole week for spring break. I think our kids only had a thurs.Fri off.

Kami Hall said...

That sounds like so much fun! I can't wait for it to warm up enough here to go hiking.

Crystal said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Crystal said...

Your spring break sounded like mine but in a little different order. We went to Horton Hears A Who. We had snow the first half of the week and had to find indoor activities. Yesterday we hit nearly 80 degrees and had a water day. It is amazing how much fun you can have with 300 water balloons. Today it is snowing again. Crazy huh.

Abbi said...

Looks like an absolute blast! Well done having a super fun vacation from home!