About Me

My photo
Mom of five lovely daughters, wife of one dashing man. Born in Utah, grew up in Oregon, live in Georgia.

Friday, March 14, 2008

Thanks for coming!!!

I must say, I have completely enjoyed my virtual tea party. It was everything I ever hoped it would be!! You all had such excellent discussion topics. I wish we could get together in the real world!! We could show Oprah and her "legends ball" ladies how to have a REAL good time! :)

Hopefully this doesn't ruin the party, but here is what I want to discuss: When do you point out something potentially embarassing about someone else's appearance (ie, zipper down, lettuce in teeth, boogers visible in nose, etc.) I recently watched a segment on GMA where they staged the "lettuce in teeth" scenario and I was shocked at how few people were willing to tell the poor girl she had gunk on her teeth. I think you should almost always point it out. It may be embarassing in the moment, but I know from experience it is infinitely MORE embarassing to discover later on that you'd been walking around like THAT. But I'm open to different points of view.

When do you speak up?

9 comments:

MiandMiksmom said...

I was going to blog about this exact same thing!!!!! I just watched "What would you do?" on Primetime or somthething like that. Anyway, I have so much to say about it that I think I still need to post about it. I guess you really do need to tell the person, but it's hard when you don't know them well!

Diana said...

I would want someone to tell me right away. It is embarrassing to tell someone you don't know very well.

Loridee said...

it is embarassing to tell someone you don't know that well! But I would want someone to tell me. Most poeople appreciate it when you let them know!!

Abbi said...

I am all for telling people they need to change something, because I appreciate it so much when people tell me (just ask Adam how paranoid I am about having something in my teeth!)---BUT, I didn't tell someone they had their zipper down this morning! I am guilty!!

Kate said...

I always want people to tell me if I have something wrong. I'm usually pretty good about telling people, but if it's a stranger and I'm in a hurry to go somewhere, I don't take the time to tell them. I saw a lady at getting out of her car at the grocery store that still had the long skinny sticker size tag on her pant leg, and wanted to tell her, but was just pulling out of my parking space, so I didn't. But, how embarrassing for her!!! I totally should have told her.

Topsy said...

I say, do unto others what you'd like done to you. As embarrassing as it can be, if someone tells you immediately, keeps it underscored, doesn't tease or mention it again, the issue can be quickly remedied and everyone can move forward so the embarrassment can ease. At least I'd like to know. And I think if you tell someone fast, discreetly and with an air of "it happens to all of us" they may feel more at ease than if you make a joke or wait too long.

Elaine said...

Let them know, it can be done tactfully. I remember once this large nicely dressed women walked into a small camera shop and walked up to the counter before I could even get to her this very young man went over to her and started pulling her skirt out of her pantyhose tucked in clear to the waist. He was so gentle and quiet about it, I was very impressed and I really had a good laugh after. HEy I know, we could talk about embarrassing moments for a good laugh at your tea party.

Kami Hall said...

I always tell them right away. I've even been known to walk up to perfect strangers and tell them something was stuck to them. I've been the one walking around with something wrong before and I wish someone had told me before I found out the hard way.

Jen said...

I'm with you on this. It shows respect for their dignity when you allow them to maintain it by telling them right away.