About Me

My photo
Mom of five lovely daughters, wife of one dashing man. Born in Utah, grew up in Oregon, live in Georgia.

Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Sew Ugly!

For my birthday (which is still a couple months away) my parents gave me a sewing machine!! I had a brief orientation on how to use it from my Mom, and ever since that time I have been itching to sew something. The problem is I don't really know how to sew. My idea was to sew the girls Halloween costumes. (I wanted them to all be nursery rhyme or storybook characters: Little Red Riding Hood, Goldilocks, Little Bo Peep, and Little Miss Muffit.) I figured that I could sew a cape and a couple aprons as a beginner, but OF COURSE my girls had other ideas for what they wanted to be. Emily (who I had pegged as Little Red Riding Hood) told me she wanted to be a Princess. I've heard of people making princess costumes, so I went on the internet and found a pattern. Unfortunately, the pattern was stupid (and I was stupid enough to not know the difference). We made a trip to Wal-Mart, got all the supplies, and after Emily got home from pre-school I set out to make a fabulous princess costume. From the tone of this post I think you can guess how it turned out. AWFUL!!! (see the picture below) But I am not going to give up. I may end up just purchasing Emily's princess costume from Party City, but I won't count that as a defeat. Maybe princess costumes aren't my thing... yet. Maybe I should start with something easier like, well, something easier. Any ideas?

Here is a picture of my valiant attempt. I had to take the picture with Summer wearing it because Emily refused to even put it on.

1 comment:

Abbi said...

Jessi, I love your sense of humor about this. Keep it up! And as for an easier project--how about a pillow or a plain skirt? :)