About Me

My photo
Mom of five lovely daughters, wife of one dashing man. Born in Utah, grew up in Oregon, live in Georgia.

Wednesday, February 15, 2012

5-Star Books

I have had a streak of 5-star books. It has been so great! I love reading, but sometimes it feels like a waste of time when the books are less than stellar. These books were all uplifing, inspiring, and worth every minute.

"Unbroken" tells the true story of Louis Zamperini, an olympic runner and World Ward II survivor. It is inspiring, heart-breaking, and totally gripping. The things Louis experiences stretch the extent of human endurance, but his example makes me realize that maybe there is greater depth in my ability to endure as well.

"Flags of our Fathers" is about the 6 flag-raisers in the famous picture taken on Iwo Jima. I learned a lot about the Pacific theater of WWII as well as the battle of Iwo Jima. It is written by the son of one of the flag raisers and is another inspirational account of valor, heroism, and the ugly side of war. Another book I could not put down.

In retrospect, this may not exactly be a 5-star book. It was a little silly and predictable, but I did completely enjoy it, so that has to count for something. I am a sucker for a good, clean regency romance and this book had it all-- interesting chacters, a plot-line with tension and intrigue, and a happy ending. It is the sequel to the book "Seeking Persephone", but I didn't know that before I read it was still able to follow the story-line just fine.

Anyone who loves "These is my Words" by Nancy Turner will appreciate "A Lantern in Her Hand." It is the story of Abbie Deal, a pioneer woman on the Nebraska prairie. I feel like this book came into my life at exactly the right time. I needed to learn from Abbie and feel so thankful that books like this exist. It would make a great book-club book because there are so many things to talk about after reading it.

6 comments:

stephanie said...

unbroken has been on my to-read list for a long time. maybe i'll tackle it next. i read a lantern in her hand probably 20 years ago, and i know i loved it then. looks like it's time for a re-read. thanks for the recommendations!

Ginger said...

Unbroken was SO GOOD! Really, I think it is up there with my favorite books ever.
Thanks for the other recommendations!

Jen said...

I need to read Unbroken. Too many recommendations now.

Also, I loved the Miss Lancaster one, and I wish my library would be the persephone one.

Emma said...

Unbroken is fabulous! If you are looking for another clean Regency novel a friend of mine has published be that will be released in 6 weeks. Look for Edenbrooke (published by Shadow Mountain). I've read some of her stuff, and I know if will be great.

Angela Draper said...

Our book group is reading Unbroken in April and I am excited for it. Also based on your Goodreads review, I got online and ordered Courting Miss Lancaster (and also bought Seeking Persephone). Can't wait to read it, but have to finish The Lemon Tree first. Thanks for your reviews!

Anonymous said...

2, tetracycline for acne,