About Me

My photo
Mom of five lovely daughters, wife of one dashing man. Born in Utah, grew up in Oregon, live in Georgia.

Friday, June 11, 2010

His promises are sure

Lately we've been kind of hit and miss in our family scripture study. (And honestly it's been more miss than hit.) But going into our summer vacation I knew that something needed to change. My girls were constantly bickering with each other, they were talking back to me and David, and I had no idea what to do with them. I could not fathom a summer vacation with that kind of contention in our home! But a couple weeks ago, as I was praying about this problem, the Lord reminded me of a statement President Marion G. Romney made with amazing promises given to those who read the Book of Mormon. President Romney said:

"I feel certain that if, in our homes, parents will read from the Book of Mormon prayerfully and regularly, both by themselves and with their children, the spirit of that great book will come to permeate our homes and all who dwell therein. The spirit of reverence will increase; mutual respect and consideration for each other will grow. The spirit of contention will depart. Parents will counsel their children in greater love and wisdom. Children will be more responsive and submissive to the counsel of their parents. Righteousness will increase. Faith, hope, and charity--the pure love of Christ-- will abound in our homes and lives, bringing in their wake peace, joy, and happiness." (Ensign, May 1980, p. 67)
Since school got out we have made scripture study a priority in our house because I want those blessings! David and I both have our personal study in the mornings as we eat breakfast, and I read with the girls as part of our morning routine. And I can absolutely attest to the fact that the Lord's promises are sure. We still have our moments of fussing and fighting. But the difference is amazing. It used to be that every time we got in the car we would spend the entire ride refereeing fights. Now the girls are far more cheerful and are more apt to compromise when they have differences. David and I feel the Spirit buoying us up during times of stress, and we are finding counsel in the scriptures that helps us focus on things that are most important. Reading the scriptures has been one of those "small things" by which great things are brought to pass-- a small miracle for which I am very grateful.

4 comments:

Topsy said...

HEy! Nice new blog header!

Sally F said...

Thanks for the reminder! So true!

Michelle Pyne said...

After we experience the incredible promises of the Lord, we just can't do without them. Thanks for sharing your testimony of this principle.

Natalie said...

Thanks Jess, I was just talking about how our home is getting crazy this summer and without the bedtime routine, the scripture study was not happening. I will try harder! love you!