About Me

My photo
Mom of five lovely daughters, wife of one dashing man. Born in Utah, grew up in Oregon, live in Georgia.

Friday, March 12, 2010

Trafalgar Square & St. Martin in the Fields

No visit to London is complete without a stop by Trafalgar Square, the National Gallery, and St. Martin in the Fields church. These sites just scream "history" to me. One of my favorite things about London is that it is a very modern city that has retained much of it's old-world feel. There are old, historic buildings and monuments everywhere. And for a girl that loves all things old-fashioned, it was heaven.


(Me with one of the famous lions of Trafalgar Square. They really are quite impressive.)

The National Gallery (housed in this awesome building) contains paintings by the most famous artists in the world. Van Gough, Monet, Renoir, Vermeer, and Rembrant (just to name a few) are all shown here. (If you're interested in checking out the 30 highlight paintings in the gallery click HERE. The website also has a listing of the paintings by artist. Click HERE to see their collection.) Seeing all the brilliant works of art made me want to study art history. Going into the museum I knew practially nothing, but I left inspired.

This church is the famous St. Martin-in-the-Fields. We attended a lunch-time concert here that I absolutely adored. (A piano, flute, and clarinet trio.) And ate lunch in the Cafe in the Crypt.

(The interior of St. Martin-in-the-Fields. Image found HERE.)

2 comments:

Ginger said...

I love the National Art Gallery. These posts are making me want to go back soon!

Adam said...

I love the view outside the National Gallery looking down onto Trafalgar square with Big Ben in the background. I took a mental picture while we were there and I'm glad we have these pictures to help refresh my memory.