About Me

My photo
Mom of five lovely daughters, wife of one dashing man. Born in Utah, grew up in Oregon, live in Georgia.

Friday, March 20, 2009

Tent City

Last night my living room was transformed into a little tent city. McKenna, Lydia and their friend, Kelsie, set up two tents by themselves for their slumber party. And now they are taking them down by themselves. I don't think I set up a tent by myself until I was graduated from high school. (Which is due to the fact that my family didn't ever really sleep in tents when I was growing up.) I've never been a real camper, but seeing how much fun my girls have had sleeping in tents in our living room makes me think that they would love camping. Since we don't have any real summer vacations planned we may have to take up camping in order to break up the monotony this summer. But since I know next to nothing about camping (I've never even lit a real match!), what suggestions do you have about making camping easier and more comfortable?

8 comments:

Jen said...

My suggestion: Lots of wet wipes.

When I saw the title of this post I laughed a little, because there is this crazy old lady I know who thinks that when the rapture comes we'll all be taken away to a tent city.

Anonymous said...

My dad doesn't go camping without an air mattress. I love going camping though and I would sleep on the ground til I am 50.

Topsy said...

I agree with the wet wipes!

We like to cook in a dutch oven and pre-mix, cut, prepare all ingredients before hand so they need only be poured together.

We give everyone their own flashlight - they love that.

Bring lots of ziploc bags to keep morning dew and dirt off of stuff.

Camp close enough to the restrooms for midnight runs, but not close enough to hear the whole campgrounds midnight runs!

Bring an air mattress or above ground cots - if possible. We always get rained on.

Bring Keebler fudge stripe cookies instead of graham crackers and chocolate. They are easier to handle and squish around a hot marshmallow!

Emma said...

An air mattress or egg crate foam pad make for a more comfortable bed.
I would make sure you have the meals planned really well so you don't forget anything - food or utensil wise. But it's always fun to improvise too.
Bug spray! First Aid Kit.
I agree with the other suggestions as well.

Kjirsten said...

We,ve got to talk, I am the camping queen! We have camped almost every summer since Rach was little. I am betting you will get hooked on it too. (bring playing cards, paper and watercolors and when you get tired of "go fish" paint the sunset)

Andrea said...

That looks like a lot of fun. Way warmer then actual camping. TO be honest, we have only done motor home camping. We haven't done the tent thing yet. We will have to one of these days.

Abbi said...

Here's my advice about camping: Go with me and Chad! We are already planning a camping trip to the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. The camp entrance is only 3 hours from your home! Please come with us!...After 2 years of camping with Chad's help, I'm getting better at knowing how to plan a camping trip, but it's still a little overwhelming. There's a lot of stuff you have to buy and pack, but once you're on the road, it is so much FUN!!

Michelle Pyne said...

Didn't you get such great tips? Now I don't feel guilty we didn't go camping much when you were young. (You don't remember the Tucker Reunions at all?)