About Me

My photo
Mom of five lovely daughters, wife of one dashing man. Born in Utah, grew up in Oregon, live in Georgia.

Tuesday, June 10, 2008

MacGyver approach to quilting

Every year our church ties quilts for the graduating senior girls. And this year I got put in charge of making it happen. But I ran into some trouble. Problem #1: I've never set up quilt on a quilt frame and I have very little experience tying quilts. Problem #2: Our church's quilt frames are lost.

Thankfully, my Mom had mentioned to me that a lady she knows ties quilts without frames using the long church tables. So, I was able to get them set up and and ready for our quilting activity this morning and we were able to finish tying 2 out of 3 of the quilts. (Big sigh of relief!!!)

Here is how:
Step 1: Get two long church tables and set them up side-by-side.
Step 2: Tape the backing fabric (wrong side up) to the tables. (On one quilt I used masking tape and the other quilt I used packaging tape. Both seemed to work pretty well.)
Step 3: Lay the batting out on top and smooth it out. Tape it down.
Step 4: Lay the top fabric on top of the batting (right side up). Tape it down.
Step 5: Thread your needles and start to tie the quilt! Just make sure that you really feel the table when you poke your needle through so you get through all of the layers of fabric and batting. And I recommend using big needles and needle-nose pliars if you're tying the quilt with yarn. (And when you buy your needles, make sure that they are NOT ball-point craft needles. They do not work.)

5 comments:

Emma said...

Very resourceful of you. Just like MacGyver! Minus the duct tape.

Michelle Pyne said...

I am so glad that you had plan B to go to and that it worked!! It is a benefit not to have to mess with quilt frames and boards and thumb tacks and clamps! We almost always have access to the Church and the banquet tables. Good job!

Topsy said...

Your mom is one smart lady!

MiandMiksmom said...

What a great idea. The only quilt I've ever done I layed on my kitchen table and didn't even tack it down...it's lumpy, but I was pretty proud of it!

Jen said...

I love the title of this post. Awesome.