About Me

My photo
Mom of five lovely daughters, wife of one dashing man. Born in Utah, grew up in Oregon, live in Georgia.

Tuesday, June 17, 2008

In Need

Every morning I watch the news. And every morning I see images of devastation, destruction, and need. Lately the stories of all the flooding in the midwest have just broken my heart. Whenever people lose their homes I cannot help but feel for them. It's easy to feel helpless, but then I remembered that I belong to a church that offers immediate assistance to those suffering from these kind of disasters. I went on the humanitarian website and checked what their current needs are and found this list:

*Twin and full size quilts - priority need
*Layette gowns
*Girl's dresses (sizes 3 to 16)
*Hygiene kits
*School kits
*Newborn kits
*Hair accessories
*Wall hangings
*Quiet books
*Bibs


You can find patterns & guidelines HERE.

I can't do a lot, but I can do something. And I imagine that a little something will make an impact in the life of the person in need. Plus, it'll be fun! Who wants to join me?

5 comments:

Julee and Matt said...

Great idea! Matt and I were just talking about going thru the kids clothes and we will send them to those in need. I might also try to attempt at sewing something, but I am still in the learning phase. :)

acte gratuit said...

I'm in. But it will have to wait until I'm at my friends house in Florida! She's good at sewing so maybe between the two of us, we can get something done!!!

Kate said...

I can't make anything, but I can buy some things. Let me know when you are sending yours out and we'll send it together. Travis's home town in Iowa is underwater and completely devastated. He's really sad about it. I wonder how the Paynes are doing.

MiandMiksmom said...

Oh, I would love to help out. I definitely have stuff I can send. What a great idea. Where exactly do we send the stuff? I am re-doing the girls' bedrooms and I have two beautiful twin size comforters to send, but how do I mail something so big?

Unknown said...

I love the spirit to giving in your post. I met a lady that lives at the Abba house just off hwy 9 the other day. These ladies rely on everything being donatated to live off of. They are in a sense a rehab house and trying to overcome severe addictions. I was so impressed by this lady and everything she has done to get back on track. There are women and children trying to make a better life for themselves and I want to do better at helping people in need in our own community. We may not be able to make what we think is a huge differnce but, a bunch of small things added up is a big difference! I would be glad to help you too though. Maybe we can find those quilt frames and do another quilt too!