About Me

My photo
Mom of five lovely daughters, wife of one dashing man. Born in Utah, grew up in Oregon, live in Georgia.

Thursday, October 19, 2006

My contribution

My sister, Audra recently wrote about the division of responsibilities in their home. In our home the division is pretty clear. With a few exceptions, David makes the money and I do everything else. That may seem like an unfair balance, but in our home it's really not. Because he owns his own business David spends endless hours working. He rarely has a spare moment to do whatever he wants. I, on the other hand, have a very flexible schedule. Because I have very few strict deadlines I can put off some less desirable tasks in order to accomplish things I am excited about (ie, blog, sew, crochet, scrapbook). I work hard but it is all on my own terms. Sometimes I feel bad that I'm not contributing to our family's financial success (especially since things are so tight). I have a sister-in-law who works from 4am-noon stocking clothes at Target and then works part-time for her husband's company. She then spends her afternoons watching her kids' cheerleading practices (which she LOVES). She doesn't have time to clean her house or cook dinner, and she definitely doesn't scrapbook! I would have a really hard time making those sacrifices, and when I think of how it would affect my kids I feel like the money isn't that important. Obviously my primary responsibility is to take care of my kids, and all the other stuff I do is fit in while managing their needs. If only I could do it all.

2 comments:

MiandMiksmom said...

I think a happy medium is being able to bring the kids to work (preschool and tennis) so we're all there together, but it still takes me away from home...it's hard to find what's right.

Anonymous said...

I think we sometimes forget how luck we are! I like to give myself a little credit for contributing to the 'financial success' of the family by trying to spend wisely and buy cheaply (not always easy!)... especially when used to having earned your own money (o: It is beautiful there too... it reminds me of what the town used to look like that I lived in in California... some days I miss those cow smells (=